Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

October 2, 2016

Duffy Lake Road

By Maryanna Gabriel

We all remember our first car and mine was a blue Volkswagen. I think it cost $200. The windshield wiper fell off. I drove the Duffy Lake Road once in the pouring rain with my hand stuck out of the window as I manually cleared the window. Oh boy. It was a dirt road then of course and impassible for half of the year. The joys and folly of youth. I used to take the "Bud Car" through here as well. It was a three car train that would leave the north shore and go to Lillooet for a nominal amount. Comfortably one could eye the rushing rivers, sparkling lakes, and snow capped mountains. It really is a beautiful area. On this day as I drove, playing with memories, I noted lots of new parks. I was surprised by how nice the road was. It made the TransCanada look like a cattle trail. Old barns were down which always makes me feel a bit sad. I wound my way up switchbacks carefully noting picnic spots. The car came to a halt. An astonishingly long line of traffic lay ahead. I was not alone on the road after all. The cars were lined up for miles. We were not moving. I was hoping it was road work. Undaunted I pulled out my picnic basket. I am a picnic pro and I was prepared. Relaxing I enjoyed the sun hoping for the best. After a very long time a black helicopter flew over us. Oh oh. It was followed by police, an ambulance, more police, and a motor cavalcade. We slowly inched forward. Sorry someone was hurt and disgusted by the congestion I pulled over. So much for a wilderness adventure. I might as well be in a shopping mall in Richmond. I nibble on cookies and slowly sip tea from my thermos while inhaling the pungent smell of mountain fir. At least the road was uninhabited. That was something. A tour bus goes by. Tour bus? Then another. Disgusted,  I start to count. By the time I get to six I had arrived at a place I dearly remembered and loved, beautiful Seton Lake. 

Beautiful Seton Lake