Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

July 9, 2016

Circumnavigating Salt Spring: Decisions

By Maryanna Gabriel


A course I had been attending was finally done and I had my certificate in hand. You know what its like. Being done with it all. The heart is heavy and the soul weary and all one wants to do is soothe the senses. I mostly craved silence. The absolute peace of it. I yearned to be away from mindless chatter and a busy schedule. I had been thinking about circumnavigating the island for a long time and kind of talking myself out of the idea the way one does. Salt Spring island is 184 kilometers long and has 135 kilometers of shoreline, pristine and beautiful. When a friend suggested some time out together on a two night trip, I accepted. It would not be a circumnavigation but the timing was perfect for what had lately been on my mind. 

Launching from a beach, not far from where we lived, we set out. Whether it was the wine that
The decision is made. 
disappeared on the first night, or my thoughtful silence and monosyllabic responses, she announced without warning  her dog did not have enough food and that she was heading up Fulford Harbour towards home. I was dismayed. She told me to continue if I wished, that it would be alright with her that I use the equipment, just to mind I took care of it. I recognized this as an opportunity, and that a solo kayak was what I wanted more than anything. The clear skies beckoned, we said our good byes and her parting comment rang in my ears that I had no hatch cover or float bag. What? Mildly disturbed, I weighed in my mind the risks and turned inward with the question. Do I keep going with the knowledge I was handicapped? Food was also a problem. I got the inner nod. It was a go.