Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

May 9, 2016

Be Part Of The Energy

By Maryanna Gabriel


"Be Part Of The Energy"
-road sign as one enters Calgary





I have just left Alberta. It could happen to any one of us. At the blink of an eye life can change drastically. They are calling it "The Beast" a fire which fortunately today is calming down, after 100,000 towns people have been evacuated from Fort McMurray in northern Alberta. I am trying to imagine fleeing for my life, with the clothes on my back and maybe a photo album, no place to get gas, and the escape exit choked with people, with nothing to rely upon but the kindness of strangers. What really gets me is the animals in need and the story about the Syrian refugees in Alberta offering assistance... there are so many stories of Canadian courage and of those helping one another right now. Fortunately it looks as though only twenty percent of the homes have been burned at this point. I for one am donating to the Red Cross where the money will be matched by the federal government.