Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

March 5, 2016

Japanese Charcoal Kiln

By Maryanna Gabriel 




I have decided if ever I need reading glasses I just need to look by the parking brake in my car.
Recently Excavated Charcoal Kiln 
I found about six pairs there. I thought I would tell you about a recent discovery here on the island. A Japanese charcoal  kiln has been excavated in Ganges amid the jungle of foliage that is so characteristic of coastal British Columbia. It is in Mouat Park. The kilns were built by Isaburo Tasaka who lived on Salt Spring Island in the early 1900's. The Tasakas lived in the area behind Embe Bakery. Isaburo Tasaka made a living by fishing seasonally and making charcoal. It is said that he was taught how to build this particular style of kiln by the Japanese Canadian pioneers on Galiano Island and that the technique came from Wakayama, Japan. Ovens have also been unearthed on Mayne Island. These two kilns were restored last year with support from the Japanese Garden Society and PARC. Salt Spring Island's reputation for  a people of innovation and diversity has deep roots.