Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

September 7, 2015

Lake O'Hara

By Maryanna Gabriel

When I awoke from my short sleep by the river I felt better. I pulled out my little camp stove and made tea as I listened to the sheer luxurious roar of sound. Some days one just does not know what is on the agenda but I seemed to know I was heading to Lake O'Hara to the eastern region of Yoho National Park. At 9:00 a.m. the parking lot was buzzing. Two yellow school buses were pulling out, the reservations having been made long ago. I hesitated a long time. I even drove away but then I circled back. Finally, I pulled out my day pack and began walking the road. I did not know if I would make the 11 kilometer ascent. All I knew was that I wanted to see this famous place. 

I was surprised to find myself alone. Where was everybody? Up I went, past trickling streams and creeks as I once again nervously contemplated my ill preparedness should a bear show himself. Nervously I eyed the trees and immediately wished I was not so observant. Up, up, I'd say easily 18 feet up, were the scratch marks. "Griz," I mutter to myself my stride increasing. I wondered how long it had been since I walked 11 kilometers and as I scanned my memory I went back more years than I cared to remember.
Lake O'hara (photo credit Parks Canada)
Near the top I passed the campsite. I had made it. I looked longingly at a campfire with people gathered around it and pressed on. As I approached Lake O'Hara I found myself slipping under the spell of the beauty of this wild setting. Little mossy places, delicate rivulets, tiny and exquisite growing things in such a pristine wilderness. I understood why people were being limited. It would not take much to trample this all down. As I arrived at the lake I  immediately recognized why it is so well known. It is turquoises and emeralds, in a snow capped mountainous setting that is at once extremely intimate, the colours of the water engaging, the topography mesmerizing. I stared at some ducks and took in the dear little log cabins on a peninsula with lovely geranium baskets. I walked up to the lodge, glass windows revealing a white table cloth setting and a sign that said High Tea would be served that day. I was anxious about the bus down and after asking a young woman balancing a gorgeous looking carrot cake loaded with logan berries on a cream cheese icing, I remembered it was my birthday. I tried not to whine. I found out the wait would be too long. I had my family to meet in Lake Minnewanka and my time was at hand. I began the descent down reasoning I would beat the bus.