Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

July 20, 2015

Not Like Lot's Wife

By Maranna Gabriel

A Swim To Remember

Last night was hot. The hottest I can remember. Of course I swim in the lakes here to cool down and sometimes I go as the day turns to night. Last night my body refused to move in the heat although I thought of swimming several times. This morning though, first thing, I was there. It's a maple shaded dead-end country lane that is usually quiet, my favourite spot. I passed what surely must have been an unmarked car driven by a man who was dressed kind of like a police officer. Since when did we get unmarked cars already? That seemed unusual. The swim was beautiful and I watched someone row through the rising and sparkling sunlight as I delighted in the cool of the water. As I left, the RCMP officer had red markers across the road and I stopped. Nervously I realized I was not travelling with my purse or my drivers license. Oh, oh. His mind was on other things. He asked me had I just come in for a swim. Yes, clearly as I was dripping. "You saw me come in, right?" He nods. He just said someone had suicided by the side of the road that borders the lake. "It's not a pretty picture. You had better not look." My insides squirmed. "You mean I drove right by and never even noticed? A young person?" He nods. "I'm not supposed to talk about it." He waves me on as his radio blares and a woman walking a killer pack of tiny unleashed little dogs approaches. He never asked me for my driver's license. I do drive on. I don't look. I knew if I did it would haunt me. I might give swimming a rest for a bit.