Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

May 17, 2015

#3 East

By Maryanna Gabriel
I have been driving. One of my most favourite places is the lower part of British Columbia, a real touchstone for me for it is an absolutely beautiful route. As I come to the Hope Slide I read that in January 1965, a minor earthquake brought down 4.6 million cubic meters of mountain, killing some folks on the highway. I am aware that the Hope Princeton area receives fairly continuous minor earth quakes as one of my obsessions is watching the earthquake reports. Munching on a sandwich, I stare at the miles of broken rock, contemplating the vagaries and precariousness of life. I think of Nepal and the recent severe quakes there and wonder at the seemingly solid earth between my feet. I continue and drive through residual snow in Manning Park and then my senses are blasted by the absolute heat of the interior plateau. I fool with the knobs of my car thinking there is something wrong until I get out and experience the gaspingly high temperatures. The road curves through charming valleys past barns like old skeletons through historic Hedley, the Kettle Valley and onto Greenwood which seems to me a town much like a living museum populated by historic buildings. Artifacts of the last two centuries abound as the entire area was mined for gold, silver, nickel, copper, and other minerals. I feel a deep quiver in my soul as a tall female moose steps out in front of me. I hold my breath and pray an oncoming car is not in the immediate future as she ambles across the highway, her long legs and impossible camel-like appearance bringing tears to my eyes. I let out a sigh of relief as she reaches the other side. I feel grateful for the wonder of seeing her.