Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

August 6, 2014

Quebec - Picturesque Kamouraska

St. Lawrence From Kamouraska
Spires Of Kamouraska
By Maryanna Gabriel


Farewell to Nova Scotia… the sea bound coast… I am surprised I am still alive after eating the New Brunswick ferry clam strips, to tell you the truth. I am still waiting to see how it is going to go. In the interim I find myself in the most delightful place. I had just been thinking about the movie Kamouraska based on the book written by Anne Hebert when I find myself here as I travel the Bas Saint Lawrence. Everything is so beautifully painted and artistically arranged, even the tractors. There seems to be photographs everywhere I look and I feel I might as well just get a movie camera rolling. Church spires and silos form a backdrop to rolling fields growing corn and other crops, and on the other side of the landscape one sees the beautiful blues of the Saint Lawrence revealing varying and interesting islets.

The architecture of the Kamouraska region is said to be among the most beautiful in Quebec, influenced in part by the ship building culture. Kamouraska itself is so very charming and I find myself totally captivated. It was originally built in 1759 but when the British laid siege to Quebec City they burned Kamouraska and other towns along the southern Saint Laurence to the ground, leaving nothing. The town was again rebuilt after a fire razed it in 1922 and the curved rooflines are a distinctive signature of the homes here. I am very much entranced by the loveliness of this coast line and I am once again surprised at how comfortable I feel here. It must be the ambiance. It could be the cheese.

As I travel now, I find I am looking very much forward to a reunion with my family which is soon and seeing how much my grandson has grown. Lexie has been a remarkably good traveler. I very much appreciate all of the lovely notes and comments from all of you who have been following this trip. It has made me feel like we have been doing this journey together and I have felt not alone, but in the company of good friends. This blog has been written in campgrounds or coffee shops, tapped out with hardly any power, with intermittent internet. Often I think, geez, I misspelled that as I have no time or means to correct. No matter. It has been fun. It feels good to be heading west. Thanks for being here with me. 


Photo From My Childhood - Bon Journee!