Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

August 4, 2014

Nova Scotia - Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay & Lunenbourg

Historic Lunenbourg Harbour - Home Of The Blue Nose

Peggy's Cove
By Maryanna Gabriel

I have driven the western coastal shore surprised by the dearth of folk, the moss growing on the road, and some homes literally just abandoned. Bypassing the city of Halifax I have come like a homing pigeon to a place my mother loved near Peggy's Cove and stayed with good folk here who were friends of hers and also now of mine. Much to my astonishment, I learned that my mother did the identical trip around Cape Breton that I just did. It was not even conscious on my part that I was seeing the country she loved. I learned in my stay here of the tragic Swiss Air Flight 111, a plane with over 200 passengers that came down in the waters here, the story of what happened and the impact of that on the local communities. The memorial, within walking distance, is haunting and is as lovely the land is, the two together much cause for huge pause. I managed also to visit the famous Mahone Bay, which reminded me so much of Salt Spring except with a hundred more years of history. I stopped at the market there and strolled by a lot of pirates and frigates, (it was Pirate Day in honour of the rum running and various other nefarious
Lobster Supper With Heart
activities this area is historically famous for). Lunenbourg was a surprise, so medieval and charming and very much in varying stages of restoration and decay. Founded in 1759, it is so unique that the whole town is a UNESCO site. I felt like I was in a Walt Disney set except it was real. I was visiting on the most tourist driven day of the year and driving the narrow streets were a huge cause for alarm as I was worried the van mirrors were going to knock somebody out. I felt I was unable to do the place justice. Upon coming back to the Peggy's Cove area I was entreated to an amazing lobster supper from my friends with big hearts.

Famous Mahone Bay Reminded Me Of Home