Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

August 14, 2014

Northern Ontario Foxtrot

By Maryanna Gabriel

Mrs Fox: Why did you lie to me?
Mr. Fox: Because I’m a wild animal.
From the movie, "Fantastic Mr. Fox" by Wes Anderson, loosely based on the story by Roald Dahl.

It All Seems So Group Of Sevenish...
I am in an expanse. It seems endless. I have succumbed to the charms of Northern Ontario, of the trees and lakes here. The parks are quite wonderful, usually centered around some geographic feature of beauty and always well managed and staffed. It all seems Group of Sevenish, the lakes, the rivers, the storm tossed waves, the palette of the landscape.  I have never seen a fox in the wild before but yesterday, there before me, was one. He was lying in the middle of the road, sunning himself. I stared carefully, taking in the silhouette as he stood and stretched and lay back down. I thought what perfect camouflage being right out in the open. How brilliantly bold, really. Last night I slept by a big old pine tree, a huge moon sailing through a star lit sky in an expanse of deep blue. I awoke at three in the morning and, with a doggy bag firmly clutched to my bosom, I decided to walk with Lexie to the “Comfort Station”. In the full moonlight, a fox crossed our path. He sat in front of us and started, well, not exactly baying, more sounding like a dog with a sore paw, a sound that starts out as a bay and then kind of short circuits. Fortunately, Lexie stayed quietly at my side, she did not bark, for we were amid sleeping campers. I kept standing there in the night under the moon waiting for the fox to give ground so we could pass but no, he did not. He just kept up with this terrible rackety howling. I backed up. He still kept it up and I almost had the feeling he was considering a charge. I conceded. You win Mr. Fox.

Succumbed To The Charms Here


We reversed our course and walked the long way around, my feet crunching along the roadside, past the snores of sleeping campers, as I nervously eyed the rustling vegetation beside us. This morning I packed up and drove to a picnic spot for breakfast. I write this by a beautiful lake where I hear the cry of eagles. I have just looked up from my crumpet to espy yet another fox, casual as you please, all red tipped on tail, paws, and snout, with a snowy white chest prancing in front of me. This is three times a fantastic fox has crossed my path. It must mean something terribly important but exactly what escapes me.