Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

January 18, 2014

Gnocchi Going To The Dogs

By Maryanna Gabriel

Gnocchi Munching Days Are Over

When I traveled in Italy with a friend when I was young and carefree, we seemed to constantly miss the gnocchi course, either it was sold out or it was not being made that day. It became that elusive dish that assumed an exotic quality to my mind. Upon writing the new edition of Memento last summer I included new recipes and I resolved to create and test a gnocchi recipe. Deciding that it had turned out quite splendidly and that the recipe was indeed perfect, I carried my gnocchi to a little table with great anticipation and intense focus. “Oh, dear”, I said. “I forgot the pepper”, and off I went. Suddenly I remembered my newly adopted dog. “No. She wouldn't”, I said remembering she was at table level. Oh yes, she would! As I worriedly returned, there she was downing the last of a very delectable dish. I stared at her trying to be an adult wondering if our fledgling relationship was seriously foundering. With time, my love for the dog has thrived and so too has my love for gnocchi. Both the dog and the dish are a great comfort to me in these January days. Her gnocchi munching days are firmly over and I am a much smarter dog owner and gnocchi maker. I recently tried the dish with sweet potato, inspired by another creative cook and it was to die for.