Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

March 16, 2013

Moosehide


Church In Moosehide
By Maryanna Gabriel


The first time I was in Dawson City I was seventeen and the place was not as geared to tourism but Diamond Tooth Gertie’s was in full swing. Incredibly, I accepted an invitation to sleep on the floor of a trapper’s log cabin and the following day was taken in a boat by a First Nations man up the Klondike River to a place called Moosehide which was a small village that had been abandoned. What was incredible was everything was intact. I was entranced. The adorable church had a buckskin alter cloth that was beautifully beaded. I think that church is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. They say at present Moosehide is maintained and is incorporated as a part of healing local tribal culture.