Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

March 9, 2012

Les Marquesas, Fatu Hiva, Tuhuata, Ua Huka & Final Words

By Maryanna Gabriel

“No doubt we shall have to don such apparel at some time during the voyage. Even the most salubrious and posh of vessels feel bound to humiliate their passengers with a fancy dress party of some kind, I gather.” Whispers In The Sand, Barbara Erskine

I have moved into a cabin and I am much more comfortable. Today we saw what the missionaries renamed from the Bay Of The Penises to the Bay Of

The Virgins which isn’t quite as accurate as a visual metaphor as the original. The topography is unique – I have not seen anything like it. The amazing hospitality on shore and also on the ship continues. It really is unbelievable how relaxed, loving, musical and genteel the crew is. They come from the Australs, the Society Islands, the Tuomotus as well as the Marquesas. The meals continue to be superb and I adore French and Polynesian cuisine. I am also deeply moved by the people I have been meeting, the conditions of how we live and the going ashore together creating opportunity for getting to know one’s fellow travellers.
My French has improved markedly and I am told I have a jolie accente (pretty accent). Yesterday I saw a dolphin leaping outside my window. After we leave Rangiroa we will be back in Tahiti from where I will post this blog. It has been very strange to have no internet connection for so long. I am very much looking forward to connecting with my daughters and to returning to all the comforts of home. I am now into my sixth month away.
I have loved it all.

This is my last entry. To you dear readers, I thank you for your encouragement and also the sharing. There are quite a number of people now who have been invited to this blog, from all parts of the world, and I hope it has been interesting. It is you, who I carry in my heart and who are with me now as I return to my home.