Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

February 16, 2012

New Zealand, Paihia

By Maryanna Gabriel


Summer is coming to a close here and in another week it will be fall. I had heard that this was a sweet coastal town in the north and so I came here.

It is the site of the ancient treaty grounds. I have been reading in New Zealand’s The Herald about this treaty in an article by a Maori journalist. Of course the treaty is rife with the usual forked tongue business. I would have to say though after visiting many places and also taking my own country into account and where for some reason the issues are identical, this being a hallmark apparently of colonialism, that this country clearly has been the most successful in integrating an indigenous culture in a respectful and comfortable way. Everybody benefits including the tourist or traveller. The New Zealanders of United Kingdom heritage, for the most

part, know a great deal about the Maori, speak it in part or at least are familiar with the vocabulary and readily and respectfully share it. Even the beloved rugby, All Blacks, chant the haka. Today I was so privileged to go on an outrigger with a Maori man named Nick operating his own business. We paddled, swam, snorkeled, sailed, caught fish, ate raw sea urchin, cooked and picnicked on the beach, saw dolphins and just generally had a good time. I just loved it.