Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

January 27, 2012

New Zealand, Lake Taupo

By Maryanna Gabriel

This photo is of the tallest mountain in New Zealand, Mt. Cook, shimmering on Lake Pukaiki, however the Maori call this mountain Aoraki and revere it as the physical embodiment of the greatest of their ancestors. It is considered a link from this world to the supernatural. This south island is extremely beautiful.
I have seen the west side, the east side, the bottom bit, and the middle. Crossing back into the north island I once again see Tongariro National Park, given by the Maori to the world, it has three volcanoes and a vast landscape. The Maori were not satisfied it is a World UNESCO Park it has been upgraded even more due to its cultural significance. This means if the New Zealand government fails in the responsibility of preserving this area then UNESCO can step in and take over. Here in Lake Taupo a local said that he remembers volcanic ash coming down and that as a lad he drove up to watch the rocks the size of cars spewing out of the volcano. From my window I can see the volcano that was filmed in the Lord of the Rings, Mount Doom. All very geologically seething. Two tectonic plates meet here and four fault lines are encompassed in this country. New Zealand is the most recent land mass to be formed in the world and also the most recent to be populated, the Maori coming here around 950 AD. Enough facts and figures. I am leaving New Zealand for awhile and returning to see the top bit while I wait for the final leg of my journey. Stay with me. It is going to be interesting.