Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

October 15, 2011

Fiji, Savu Savu & Dravuni Island

The firewalkers were really amazing. I was glad to have seen them. They did walked the stones with a priest overseeing them and wore grass skirts made of hibiscus. Traditionally one has to be chosen to be a firewalker - one is not supposed to eat coconut before walking the fire, or be with a woman. There were a lot of yips and howls as they prepared for the walk. Legend has it that the ability to do this was given by a sea god. Later we watched dancing and a kind of a Fijian play. They did a good job of it.


I have to say that the people seem so welcoming and kind. It really surprises me. You know it is hot when the Fijians themselves are complaining and the perspiration is dripping off of them. I can barely manage. It is summer here. Rain just seems to increase the humidity. Don`t ask me how that works.

Yesterday we were at Dravuni Island which I think is part of the Tonga Islands or very close to it. It was lovely to be on land and rest on a beach. I was not feeling very well so I just let myself relax into the tropical paradise without trying to keep up with my overly busy mind which apparently is what my body was asking of me. The people seem to be getting physically larger, darker, and curly haired as we travel south, and again I am struck by the cooperation of how they work with one another and the friendliness. It`s humbling.

I was asked if I wanted a Fijian husband, I was sorry to tell the man that I probably didn`t, nice as he seemed – I am wearing a ring now on my fourth finger – I don`t have the strength, maybe because I am not feeling well. Women here have to stay seated on the ground or always be lower than the man, especially the chief. I don’t think this opportunity is me, really. Tomorrow we will be in Noumea, New Caledonia, which is French. The Australians are quite fussed about it as they don’t learn French in school and the New Caledonians will not speak English. I am very grateful to have been able to experience all of this. Soon this part of my trip will be over and the next leg of my journey will begin. Australia.