Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

September 24, 2011

Heliotropism

Heliotropism means going towards the sun. It was first noted by Leonardo Da Vinci as sunflowers were observed moving their giant heads of yellow petals in circular motion as they follow the sun’s passage through the sky. As the season turns I find myself getting flashes of the south, a land I have often wondered about and where I will soon be. To accomplish this I am already discovering sundry knowledge that my daughters are well versed in - such as seeing a doctor for shots for the journey are not covered by Medicare, neither the visit, nor the vaccines. When did that happen? It used to be! I am now apprised on the habits of the mosquito that give yellow fever and am armed with a prescription should I ever have to repeat what I went through in Cairo all those years ago, an indelibly etched experience of clutching an Egyptian bidet praying mightily that I might meet my maker and be put out of my misery, the sooner the better. I have also solved the problem of excess weight, being a bibliophile. After seriously worrying at the bit, I bought a Kindle. I am absolutely amazed to discover I love the thing, a surprising turn. It is small and light yet has on it 15 or more books. It isn’t as fancy as an Ipad but it is actually smaller and weighs less, I can cart it easily in my purse and I find that I love how it handles and feels in my hand. Horizons are being expanded, my soul warmed by the fires of the south at this distance, and there are people to meet, places to go, magic to feel, experiences to be integrated, wisdom to be deepened. It is good to be feeling hope deepen.